Friday, January 22, 2010

First Jump off the Cliff...

21st January, 2010

“There…look at that!”

…& everyone has his eyes fixed on this guy about to jump off the cliff! As everyone gives an open-mouth stare, the guy comes down the cliff & hits water…with almost a musical splash. Yes. Musical…!!!

“Wow…we’ll do that too!” No one says it, but then sometimes when we all think the same thought, it seems like an announcement. We agree to that too, without words - just with that glare in the eyes!

As we paddle our raft passionately to get closer to the cliff, the impatience start rising…from somewhere deep in belly, upwards…Coming out of the raft on to the rocks on riverside, we still have our focus on the cliff, where others are lined up for their turn. “Careful...!” shouts someone from behind - a little too late perhaps, as I already have lost my balance on extremely slippery rocks, too fascinated at the prospect of another dream getting fulfilled. Banging a round one with my palms, I gain back my balance. Strong stench of sulphur in the hot stream running down is adding the spice. I make my way to the cliff-top with mouth half-open in awe & eyes switching rapidly between other adventure-buffs on top & the slippery rocks down my feet.

I am 3rd in row, a nervous girl & an eager guy ahead of me. 3 minutes taken by the girl - nervous, agitated but still adamant to jump. 30 seconds taken by the guy, hungry for the thrill. Now it’s my turn - “Stand straight. Hold the straps up on your life-jacket - left one with right hand, right one with left. See in front, not down, front…& jump” guide utters. I know that as I have heard him saying that to the girl. Talking to me, he’s making no sense – I can hardly focus now…

Moving my right leg out from cliff edge & looking down…‘20 meters at least’, I wonder. As the heart-beat slows down with that view & thought of the jump, I step back. Deep-breath. Another couple of deep ones, a short close-eyed prayer & am ready again; this time looking straight to the mountain on the other side of the Ganges. Left feet out, a little bend in right leg, small thrust against the cliff…

As my body loses support under feet & as I start free-falling, the adrenalin is pumping at its peak, the acceleration is nothing but pure…unadulterated thrill. Feet search land for a couple of breaths & then they too start enjoying my fall. As I am gaining speed, I can feel the rush of air...racing through my body at an odd angle…downward-up! I can feel the complete aerodynamics of my fall, with closed eyes. Air tickling underneath my feet…rushing passionately through my groin…stroking hard my chest as challenge…eddying on my eyelids like some dream…raising excitement in my hairs…Gosh!

Crashing the water, I sense a contest between the crashing sound & the water itself, to reach my ears first. Both reach together, mixing into enticing musical blip fading into watery silence. Then begins another struggle...struggle between my gravity pull & bouncy push. Strange feeling it is, to churn between two natural forces. You can hardly do anything but to panic in despair or enjoying the experience. I chose to enjoy! As I bounce out, & air replaces the water in my ears, I can hear the blip again...fading back into more familiar sounds...sounds of water-rapids, of birds playing around, sounds of chattering on the rocks & sound of my breaths gasping for air. But most prominent is the sound of satisfaction ringing with a psychedelic effect!

As I swim back to my gang on the rocks, I realize that it will take me another couple of jumps to satisfy my thirst...but trust me...nothing like the first shot!

4 comments:

Prajesh Nambiar said...

so finally u did what u always dreamt about.... great job bro... the way u narrated each and every instant of the trip was simply stupendous..... sometimes i felt as if i am the one who is jumping from the cliff ,the selection of words were precise....and beleive me brother i see a very good writer in you, and i am sure one day i'll have the previlege to read the nations best-seller written by you.... trust me ,i hav never seen a adventure freak like u in my entire life,and the best part in u is that u manage time from ur busy working schedule to fulfill all ur dreams and ambitions, its not that easy.... so hatsoff to u brother !!!! i am sure one day i'll be fortunate enough to be part of an adventure trip with u ....may the almighty shower his blessings on you always...take care brother...god bless you..

Madhur Maheshwari said...

Thanx buddy... :)

ur copy of my best seller free... ;)

saurav wason said...

madhur....
oops u did it again....and 'inshallah' u'll keep doin' it in future.God dats good...!d words..all exclamations...all full stops...all words...!WOW...!
u ride.u explore.u trek.u jump.u raft.u dive.u fall.....and most importantly,u write.
'the' best combination it is.i do most of it(except writing for sure)..but..d way u do it...amazing.
u know wot..while readin ur post here..i had a flashback of my jump...i was actually luking at everyone else's jump..and i figured..after d impact..everyone took 3 seconds to come out of d water(u know stupid mind,embaresses u sometimes)...but..when i jumped..i counted..1,2,3....den a pause...it was like a lifetime in d water..i was still inside..i actually was about to panic wen i saw myself rising above d level...i was so happy...cant explain..and wen i luked at ppl around..i thought..dey must be worried abt me..but no..nothing hppnd...haaah.
dey dint even know,i was out already...it was me,who actually swam to dem..and said,QUITE A JUMP-AYE!!but anyways..no one wud ever come to know..wot i went thru..coz..even i donno..i think..writin is like a science.(i had commerce by d way)..and d scientist(writer) has to experience everythin by himself to exactly know it..u know wen dey do experiments on demselves..and keep recording it...!u my brother,are a scientist in a true manner.keep rockin on the rocks!
hope to see a post of urs..wen u tell ur experience of jumping from d eiffel tower,wid ur bike..hehehehe...!!

Madhur Maheshwari said...

@saurav : Thanx bro...frnds like u r source of confidence